Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tastebuds: Richmond & D.C.

We visited my family on a trip back East this weekend. In addition to "southern proper" accents, we had some great encounters with food. The not-so-healthy highlights:


TJ's at The Jefferson Hotel:


Virginia has a few distinguished dishes specific to the state. One in particular I remember from growing up - Virginia peanuts. The Jefferson Hotel (iconic to Richmond, Virginia and its history - filled with quintessential Virginian interiors) put these peanuts to good use with a Virginia Peanut Soup - yes, a soup made of peanuts. It's name almost audibly screamed at me from the menu, and I gave in - just couldn't say no. The result - about five bites of nostalgia, confusion and flavors so rich I could only take so much. I didn't regret it. It was quite memorable - just left me with a bowl half full. My dad had no trouble solving that problem for me with his hungry tummy and Virginian tastebuds.

Try this at home... Virginia Peanut Soup Recipe
(seems like a similar recipe - just add bacon and chives)


The Argonaut:

photo from here

In D.C., my brother brought us to a great little patio at a restaurant on H street named The Argonaut. The moment the words manchego, panko, honey and paprika came out of the server's mouth, I knew the dish would be ours. And it came - on a bed of greens. Simple, and to me, it did no wrong - just a lot of right.

A recipe that seems close to this - I plan on giving it a go with a different type of oil to see if it turns out... Honey Glazed Fried Manchego Recipe


Dangerously Delicious Pies D.C.:


Ever since I saw this movie, I have been craving a place where I could go to eat pies for any meal of the day - meat pies, veggie pies, quiche pies, fruit pies, custard pies, chess pies. Dangerously Delicious Pies on H Street in D.C. has done it right. I regret not having tasted any of their original pies, but their classics were mighty good. It is well worth a visit.


Last little tidbit of deliciousness - this place served a delicious veggie pizza complete with fried fingerling potato chips on top. Pizza with potato chips - worth trying at home, folks...

2 comments:

Allison said...

Aubree! I am a regular at Matchbox and love the Veggie pizza. I have not heard of The Argnoaut, but am always looking for new restaurants to put on my to list!! Hope your doing well : )

Allison Williams said...

You were in Richmond? I'm living here. Wish I would have known and we could have met up! The peanut soup at the Jefferson is delicious btw.

Followers

I find that I am drawn to ideas. Whether they are brilliant, simple, or aesthetically beautiful (to my eyes), they tend to be other people’s ideas. I have much respect for people who have the vulnerability to bring their ideas to life. My first internal reaction is often envy, but then it becomes gratitude – and gratefulness for a creator that enables people to bring to life the ideas that He gives them. Occasionally though, one of those ideas is my own. They don’t come often, but when they do, no matter how small or insignificant they may be, I am humbled and inspired. This is a place for me to exhibit those ideas, mostly others – sometimes my own.