Thursday, September 8, 2011

Iain McKell - The New Gypsies with Kate Moss


When I was a wee one my grandmom always made a point to let me know that "the gypsies" were in town and that I had to be careful and lock the doors. This confused me to no end because "gypsies" made me think of Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. A little while back when perusing Netflix, I got into the series The Riches which intrigued me about the modern-day "traveler" lifestyle. Traditionally, the concept of thievery goes hand-in-hand with "gypsies". Whether that is fact or fiction, I do not know, but to look beyond that, the idea of the modern-day "gypsy" lifestyle is fascinating. Seeing that photographer Iain McKell published a book called The New Gypsies documenting the lives of a particular community of English nomads immediately grabbed my attention. Interestingly, several photos feature Kate Moss...

















photos from iainmckell.com

2 comments:

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

The lifestyle IS incredibly fascinating. Our guide in Spain told us she lived with a band of gypsies (in a cave!) for a year after the Madrid bombing (she narrowly escaped). Wish we could've chatted more about that...

Val said...

brilliant work

Followers

I find that I am drawn to ideas. Whether they are brilliant, simple, or aesthetically beautiful (to my eyes), they tend to be other people’s ideas. I have much respect for people who have the vulnerability to bring their ideas to life. My first internal reaction is often envy, but then it becomes gratitude – and gratefulness for a creator that enables people to bring to life the ideas that He gives them. Occasionally though, one of those ideas is my own. They don’t come often, but when they do, no matter how small or insignificant they may be, I am humbled and inspired. This is a place for me to exhibit those ideas, mostly others – sometimes my own.