Thursday, June 30, 2011

Free Design - David Trubridge

I love the concept of a designer making his ideas available to the general public who may not be willing or able to invest in higher-end pieces. Though it may alter the "exclusivity" of a brand, I can't help but appreciate the desire to make quality design easily available. Rather than creating a lower-priced, lower-quality product line, David Trubridge's take on this concept has been to create a way for his admirers to make interesting light fixtures on their own using "Free Design". "Free Design" is simply a couple one-page documents with instructions on how to make light fixtures that he and his employees have designed. You have probably seen other DIY light fixture ideas, but there is just something nice about the fact these were developed by a respectable designer...


If any of you guys decide to try one of these at home, let me know how it turns out.

Several of Trubridge's manufactured designs...



My personal favorite - called Dream Space - I would say it is appropriately named.






nice pattern projection from the pendant


photos from davidtrubridge.com

No comments:

Followers

I find that I am drawn to ideas. Whether they are brilliant, simple, or aesthetically beautiful (to my eyes), they tend to be other people’s ideas. I have much respect for people who have the vulnerability to bring their ideas to life. My first internal reaction is often envy, but then it becomes gratitude – and gratefulness for a creator that enables people to bring to life the ideas that He gives them. Occasionally though, one of those ideas is my own. They don’t come often, but when they do, no matter how small or insignificant they may be, I am humbled and inspired. This is a place for me to exhibit those ideas, mostly others – sometimes my own.