Friday, July 29, 2011

It's Moving Time

Aesthetically, one of the things I have developed living on the west coast is an appreciation for minimalism and simplicity, especially in small space living. If you know me well, you know that my natural tendency is the opposite of minimalism. Our current place came furnished, so in my efforts to make it feel like home, I went a bit overboard with over-accessorization and pattern. Now, It's moving time. In our new space, I'm going to work on doing the opposite to keep it calm and minimal. We'll see how that goes....

With our move, we're saying fare thee well to our one room and my efforts to turn it into three...



slipcovered leather...


a kitchen in a closet, literally...


a bed in a niche...


and these little vignettes...







This bird is my birdie bank. When I was a wee one my dad would save up his change from the end of every day in a giant canister. Come summertime, he would give my brother and I money rolls and we would roll up all of the change to use for our spending on summer vacations. The birdie bank is my much less successful effort to do the same, but it realistically adds up to enough to cover a couple meals... every penny counts though, right?

Back to the move... some inspiration for the new place next.

1 comment:

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

I love your birdie bank! We have something similar, except it's an orange juice jug. Ha! XO.

Followers

I find that I am drawn to ideas. Whether they are brilliant, simple, or aesthetically beautiful (to my eyes), they tend to be other people’s ideas. I have much respect for people who have the vulnerability to bring their ideas to life. My first internal reaction is often envy, but then it becomes gratitude – and gratefulness for a creator that enables people to bring to life the ideas that He gives them. Occasionally though, one of those ideas is my own. They don’t come often, but when they do, no matter how small or insignificant they may be, I am humbled and inspired. This is a place for me to exhibit those ideas, mostly others – sometimes my own.