Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Husband and the Sea

It has been quite a while, so I thought it appropriate to come back with a simple recipe from where I've been...



I've known all along that my husband has been having a love affair with the sea. When the elements don't offer sufficient waves for surf, he spends his time under them. As of late, I've been mostly alright with this as it has left me with a freezer full of lobster and fish.




Before the holidays, we had a little getaway to Kauai. The water and mountains made for a wonderful time, but we had a few delicious meals along the way - one of which I'd been waiting for just the right piece of fish to try on my own - Opah Eggs Benedict from The Garden Cafe at Common Ground, a beautiful, sustainable property in Kilauea. Though it was not Opah, my husband brought home a great piece of fish, Lingcod, which proved to be a good alternate. So, I gave it a recipe-less go and stacked a bunch of ingredients on top of each other...

- toasted, seeded english muffin
- scrambled egg (untraditionally not poached)
- seasoned tomato
- seasoned, grilled Lingcod
- caramelized onions
- sprouts
- hollandaise




Another unbelievable meal to try if ever over there is the Ahi wrap from Kilauea Fish Market - I tried it with ono - twice - and would attempt to make it at home but wouldn't even know where to begin with the dressing.

No comments:

Followers

I find that I am drawn to ideas. Whether they are brilliant, simple, or aesthetically beautiful (to my eyes), they tend to be other people’s ideas. I have much respect for people who have the vulnerability to bring their ideas to life. My first internal reaction is often envy, but then it becomes gratitude – and gratefulness for a creator that enables people to bring to life the ideas that He gives them. Occasionally though, one of those ideas is my own. They don’t come often, but when they do, no matter how small or insignificant they may be, I am humbled and inspired. This is a place for me to exhibit those ideas, mostly others – sometimes my own.